Software Engineer, BBC
September 2022 - Present
Joined as part of the North East Technology Hub, initially as part of the Analytics Services team, delivering and supporting core services used across the entire product range. Now with the Audiences Portal team, developing and maintaining a Next.js web application for data presentation for presenting audience figures to internal stakeholders and teams.
- Developing a modern web-application using the latest technologies including Next.js and React
- Utilising AWS monitoring services for availability and performance, overhauling the previous approach to address technical challenges
- Community outreach, promoting the new tech hub at various external events
- Speaking at the BBC's North East Tech Hub meetup and representing the organisation externally
AWSAmazon CloudWatchReactNext.jsCommunity OutreachWebTypeScriptJIRA
Software Engineer, Waters Corporation
Feb 2020 - Aug 2022
Part of the core development team for CONFIRM Sequence, an innovative new tool to enable scientists to develop nucleic acid therapeutics using the latest Angular and .NET Core.
- Collaborating with stakeholders including scientists to overcome complex challenges
- Interviewing, mentoring, and onboarding of apprentices and new developers
- Working in an Agile manner with fast-paced product development whilst maintaining quality in heavily regulated and safety-critical environment (including extensive test automation)
- Point of contact for Angular expertise
- CONFIRM Sequence: An innovative new web-based scientific tool to help scientists develop nucleic acid therapeutics
Full-Stack DevelopmentMentoringFront-End DevelopmentC#ASP.NET CoreAngularTypeScript.NET Framework
Software Developer, NBS
Sep 2015 - Feb 2020
Working as part of an Agile software delivery team, predominantly on NBS Chorus, an innovative software-as-a-service platform using the latest technologies.
- Use of a wide variety of technologies and frameworks, including Angular 8, Node.js, C# with ASP.NET, and git flow source control
- Working with external collaborators to develop integrations with third party products
- Collaborating with other teams including design and QA
- Mentoring of work experience and graduates through pair programming and code reviews, and working with local schools to promote software development as a career
- Using good practices such as Dependency Injection and unit testing
- NBS Chorus: An award-winning innovative software-as-a-service platform using the latest in web technologies
Mobile App Developer, Self Employed
October 2014 - September 2015
Creation of mobile applications, predominantly for iOS devices, enabling me to gain a greater insight into the process of developing and releasing a product to customers.
- Planning, designing, and building native iOS mobile applications from scratch
- Creation of app assets and marketing material
- Providing support to customers and handling feature requests / suggestions
- Keeping up to date with changes to technologies and platforms
User ExperienceNative iOS DevelopmentSwiftObjective-CXamarin FormsIonic
Mobile Platform Developer, AYO Digital
Feb 2014 - Oct 2014
Native iOS mobile app development in a fast-paced digital agency.
- Responsible for the entire app architecture and development as the sole mobile app developer, working with server-side teams to design, agree on and document web services
- Development of iOS applications for external customers as well as developing and maintaining internal products
- Working with other members of the team including designers and project management to deliver projects to clients in a fast-paced environment
- Left due to company insolvency
Native iOS DevelopmentSwiftObjective-CUIKit
Web Developer, CT-Web
Sep 2012 - Aug 2013
PHP and frontend web development for a wide variety of clients and projects.
- Development of a wide range of websites for clients using the latest web-based technologies, and maintenance of an in-house PHP CMS
- Integration of bespoke features such as e-commerce stock management, property search, forums, blogs, and social media
- Provision of phone and email support for clients
- This position provided me with technical skills, customer service experience, time-management with multiple projects, and working to agreed requirements and deadlines
BSc (Hons) Computer and Network Technology (First Class), Northumbria University
September 2009 - June 2012
A highly dynamic course with emphasis on relevant practical skills, teamwork and communication exercises, self-management, planning and critical thinking skills.
- Key modules include Web Design (80%), Web Development (90%), Using UNIX (92%), Network Technology 2 (95%), Programming in C/C++ (88%), Network Technology 3 (93%), Ethical Hacking (71%), and OS Network Issues (87%)
- Final project (85%) involved the development of and 25,000-word dissertation on the development of an embedded system web interface for home automation networks
Web DesignWeb DevelopmentUNIXComputer NetworksC/C++Embedded System DevelopmentHome Automation