Key Technology Skills
- Frameworks - Angular 8+, ASP.NET MVC, ASP.NET Web API
- Database Technologies - MS SQL, PostgreSQL, MySQL, SQLite
- Source Control - Git (using GitFlow branching strategy), TFVC
- Other - Continuous Integration with Azure DevOps, unit testing using jasmine and ts-mockito
- Previously I have also worked with iOS development, Android development and PHP-based web development, and have also used a number of other languages and frameworks for prototyping or personal projects, including Vue.js, Ionic & Xamarin
- Advocate of good software development practices such as unit testing and dependency injection
- Experience in Agile software development processes, using collaborative technologies such as VSTS, Trello and Slack, and workflows such as GitFlow
- I am continually looking out for and trying out new technologies, following development newsletters and taking online courses
I have developed modern web applications using the latest versions of Angular, up to and including Angular 8. These skills are also transferable to other front end frameworks.
Angular 8 TypeScript RxJS
I have experience in producing and maintaining ASP.NET MVC websites and Web API back-ends using Entity Framework and SQL Server databases.
ASP.NET MVC ASP.NET Web API Entity Framework SQL Server
Front end web
I have developed and contributed to a large number of web-based projects, with involvement in both the back-end and the front-end.
Software Engineer, Waters Corporation, Newcastle upon Tyne
February 2020 - Present
Waters Corporation offers a comprehensive range of analytical system solutions, software, and services for scientists.
Software Developer, RIBA Enterprises / NBS, Newcastle upon Tyne
September 2015 - February 2020
Working as part of an Agile software delivery team, predominantly on NBS Chorus, an innovative software-as-a-service platform using the latest technologies
- Use of a wide variety of technologies and frameworks, including Angular 8, Node.js, C# with ASP.NET, and git flow source control
- Working with external collaborators to develop integrations with third party products
- Collaborating with other teams including design and QA
- Mentoring of work experience and graduates through pair programming and code reviews, and working with local schools to promote software development as a career
- Using good practices such as Dependency Injection and unit testing
Angular 8 Typescript GraphQL ASP.NET MVC ASP.NET Web API Entity Framework SQL Server Front End
Mobile App Developer, Self Employed
October 2014 - September 2015
Creation of mobile applications, predominantly for iOS devices, enabling me to gain a greater insight into the process of developing and releasing a product to customers.
- Planning, designing and building a native iOS mobile application
- Creation of app assets and marketing material
- Providing support to customers and handling feature requests / suggestions as required
- Keeping up to date with changes to technologies and platforms
Native iOS Development Objective-C Xamarin Forms Ionic
Mobile Platform Developer, AYO Digital, Gateshead
February 2014 - October 2014
iOS mobile app development (products and client projects) in a fast-paced digital agency.
- Responsible for the entire app architecture and development as the sole movile app developer, working with server-side teams to design, agree on and document web services
- Development of iOS applications for external customers as well as developing and maintaining internal products
- Working with other members of the team including designers and project management to deliver projects to clients in a fast-paced environment
Native iOS Development Objective-C
Web Developer, CT-Web, Durham
September 2012 - August 2013
PHP and front-end web development for a wide variety of clients and projects.
- Development of a wide range of websites for clients using the latest front-end web technologies, and maintenance of an in-house PHP CMS
- Integration of bespoke features such as e-commerce stock management, property search, forums, blogs and social media
- Meeting with and providing email and telephone support for clients
- Managing time between multiple ongoing projects, working to agreed requirements and deadlines
PHP MySQL Front End CMS
BSc (Hons) Computer and Network Technology (First Class), Northumbria University
September 2009 - June 2012
A highly dynamic course with emphasis on relevant practical skills and many teamwork and communication exercises, self-management, planning and problem-solving skills.
- Key modules include: Web Design (80%), Web Development (90%), Using UNIX (92%), Network Technology 2 (95%), Programming in C/C++ (88%), Network Technology 3 (93%), Ethical Hacking (71%), and OS Network Issues (87%)
- Final project (85%): 25,000 word dissertation on the development of an embedded system web interface for home automation networks
The following are examples of personal projects which I have worked on in my spare time. Some have been developed as commercial products and others are just for fun and learning new tech.
Country Challenge (Ionic App)
Educational geographical quiz app, featuring interactive world maps.
The app has been created using Ionic 4 on top of Angular, bringing together concepts from some of my previous projects.
Map Challenge (Mobile / Web App)
A geographical map quiz game, in which users are presented with a series of locations on a map and asked to identify them.
I have recreated the app several times to gain exposure to a new technology - first as a native iOS application, secondly as a Xamarin Forms application, thirdly using the Ionic framework, and most recently using the Unity game engine (the version linked to below).
TimeSums Time Calculator (Mobile App)
A useful utility application for users who need to quickly add up / subtract times for completing timesheets etc.
Developed first as a native iOS application, before being recreated as a Xamarin Forms application to take advantage of cross platform abilities.
MyPeaks UK Hills (Mobile App)
A 'hill bagging' application useful for hill walkers, featuring lists and a map of the UK's hills and mountains, allowing logging and targeting of hill climbs.
Developed as a native iOS application, using an SQLite database for storing data. An Ionic rewrite is planned.